Student’s iPhone Explodes During Class, Catches On Fire In His Pocket

It’s 2016.  Isn’t it time we can all carry a cell phone without worrying that it is going to EXPLODE?!?

Darin Hlavaty just sat down for his physical science class when something did not feel quite right in his back pocket.  “I felt this crazy, hot burning in my leg.  Right as class was starting, my phone started smoking in my pocket.  It was a fire.”  His classmate Rebecca Bookbinder remembers a popping noise, before the smell of smoke wafted throughout the room.  “Out of nowhere, we heard a fizzing and a popping sound.  Suddenly a great mass of smoke comes out from his pocket.  Everyone was kind of like, ‘What is that? What is that?  And then we all realized that’s his phone that combusted in the middle of class.”

School officials confirmed that a call was made by a teacher for fire safety around 9:45 that morning, but by the time help arrived the fire had already been put out.  Hlavaty ended up kicking the fire out after removing the phone from his back pocket.  This event comes on the heels of a recent Samsung Galaxy Note 7 recall, after many of those batteries exploded or caught on fire.  However, Hlavaty says his phone’s battery was dead, and he’s not really sure what triggered the explosion.  “I’ve had it for about six months.  The only thing that was wrong with it was a simple crack, but I don’t see a simple crack causing it to blow up in my pocket.”

Apple will not comment at this time, but says it will investigate the claim as customer safety is of the “utmost importance.”

Via ABC 13


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From 100.3 Jack FM - Dallas, TX App
All Access Pass With Billy Kidd
WIN Stuff

Listen Live